Diana Ross was here in Las Vegas earlier this year. She performed a mini 9-date residency at the Venetian Theatre. While I personally did not attend, the show reviews were stellar. I mean, you have to put the word Legendary when you address Ms. Ross, right?
We are talking Motown here. As far as I am concerned, that is the beginning of the Soul music movement. Diana Ross was an original player in that movement. You look around today, and there are some Motown artists that are still touring. We have to be honest here, though. Most of them are just a shell of themselves, and there are very few original members still around.
You cannot fake Diana Ross.
Let’s break down some of the accolades:
- Female Entertainer Of The Century – Billboard Magazine
- Most Successful Female Artist In History – Guinness Book Of World Records
- Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame – With the Supremes
- Kennedy Center Honors – 2007
- Presidential Medal of Freedom – 2016
- Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award – 2012
For those of you who weren’t able to see Ms. Ross in Vegas, she will be starting the Diana Ross Summer Tour 2017. She will perform on several dates in June and July, with a couple of spot dates in August and September.
Here are some of the big city performances:
- June 25th – Miami, FL
- June 27th – Orlando, FL
- July 5th – San Antonio, TX
- July 11th – Minneapolis, MN
- July 27th – Boston, MA
- July 29th – Philadelphia, PA
Ms. Ross will be a part of the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans on the 4th of July Weekend.
Unfortunately for those in the west, Texas is as close as she will get. There are several shows for those of you in the central and eastern time zones. This may be a good excuse to plan a road trip around one of the shows.